Sidebar1Logos
Offer 1Wells ServicesWe made it

About Us

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

About Wells Garage

The history that precedes the Wells garage of today is astonishing and it really deserves its place in Ringwood's recent history. Simply, Wells is the only survivor of the original garages of Ringwood. The land was purchased by James W. Wells with the sole intention of building a place where people could have their automobiles serviced and repaired and in 1930 the garage was built. The chosen site was also no coincident as Mr. Wells sighted the notorious hump back bridge just off the Salisbury road as a possible hot spot for suspension problems.

During the second World War the petrol pumps were commandeered and guarded by the MOD such was the value and importance of fuel and these duties were later taken over by the American Army. Guarded 24/7 the soldiers lived in tents on the site and became very good friends to the Wells family thanks to the generous hospitality and Mrs. Wells cooking! The Wells family stayed in touch with some after the war and continued to right up until recently when the last of them died at 97. In the late 1950s Martin Wells took over the business from his father and after a short period as a Ford dealer it became a Fiat Dealership which it continued to be for 25 years.

In the late 1990's the garage moved into a new phase of its life and Hazel, the company director, pushed the business in new directions and the site was opened up to other independent automotive traders.

Although over the years the buildings have expanded and extended, the main building is much the same as the one built by Mr. Wells senior in 1930. The automotive trade may well have changed beyond recognition over the years but the one thing that hasn't changed is the Wells commitment to quality, value and service.